Before creating and sending the VAT return, you need to make sure you have activated the correct setting and approved the bank reconciliation. Read more about how to check this below.
Check the VAT settings
- Go to “Accounts>Settings”.
- Choose the tab “Accounting rules”.
Here you can ..
- activate/deactivate the different VAT codes.
- enter “VAT-status” - are you registered in the The Value Added Tax register, applying for admission in The Value Added Tax Register, or not registered in The Value Added Tax Register?
- choose period for reporting of VAT
Why don't I have any basis for the VAT return?
Entry directly to the balance sheet accounts (2700-2739) has no effect on the VAT return.
The basis of the VAT return is dependent on the recorded vouchers in the period.
For the entries to be included in the VAT return, you have to use the correct VAT code.
Read more about how to use VAT-codes in Tripletex here (This article is not translated yet).
Approve the bank reconciliation
If you have activated “Requires reconciliation” for one or multiple bank accounts, you need to reconcile your bank before you can create the VAT return.
You can check which accounts requires reconciliation like this:
- Go to “Accounts>Chart of accounts”.
- Click the account name in blue.
- Look for "Requires reconcilation".
Discrepancies that will block you from creating a VAT-return
Account….. requires reconciliation
You will receive a notice of deviation in the VAT notice if you do not approve the bank reconciliation first.
Click on "Go to bank reconciliation" to go directly to the bank reconciliation that needs to be approved.
There are vouchers in the period that have not been booked
If you have not completed the book keeping of vouchers for a period, you will receive a notification that there are vouchers in the period that have not been booked.
Click the link “"Go to non-posted vouchers" and handle the vouchers that are applicable for the period in question.
Here you can either choose to mark to send to the general ledger or delete the voucher.
Remember that the period will be locked for bookings once the VAT return has been created.